Thursday, September 30, 2004

not so sock-cessful...

Okay, so I'm fairly new to knitting...but have managed to knit quite a few projects over the last 9 months, or so. I've knit about 5 baby blankets, a few scarves, several bootie and hat sets for friends who've had babies, one incredible shrinking washcloth requested by my six year-old daughter, and now I'm on to socks. I've knit three pairs of socks and I am noticing a problem that I'd like to fix: I end up with small holes when I pick up the gusset stitches. I've tried adding stitches, using smaller needles to pick up the stitches and I'm not seeing much improvement with the hole dilemma. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem? Currently, I'm taking left over yarn and stitching up the gap...which isn't fixing the problem, just the sock.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelby said...

Love the blue baby blanket - is it really that brilliant in reality? And what material did you use around the edge?

5:01 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Love the blue baby blanket - is it really that brilliant in reality? And what material did you use around the edge?

5:01 PM  
Blogger yamamama said...

Shelby,

Yes, the blanket is just as brilliant in person. The yarn was Encore in a deep navy. I tried swatching it in stockinette, but it lost some of its sheen so I decided to go with a garter stitch. The edging is blanket trim that I picked up at either Joann Fabrics or Hancock Fabrics. Luckily the trim was a perfect match. My mom, who is a big quilter, sewed the trim on the blanekt for me.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home